Sunday 18 October 2015

4 great sunscreens for sensitive skin.

sunscreen for sensitive skin Vichy Apivita Korres

Summer might be over but sun protection is still a necessity for me as I've caught the anti-ageing bug and I'm all about preventing damage and any signs of ageing, even though I'm under 30. I've read up on sunscreens and sun protection and I've decided to go the sunscreen route in an attempt to protect my skin from further UVA-induced damage (plus I avoid going out in the sun as much as possible and sunbathing is the bane of my existence). I do have days when I simply can't bother with sunscreen but, in general, I feel I'm doing something good for my skin in the long run. I say it's absolutely worth it.

Plus, with the new formulations being increasingly better every year (though I do hate a sunscreen gimick), there's no reason not to reach for a sunscreen, except of course that you have to try a lot of different formulations to determine which will stick with you and that is not cost-effective. Because the important thing is to be able to wear a sunscreen pretty regularly. And that is a bit of an issue for me and the reason why I'm not 100% religious with my application.

Still, I do suggest incorporating a sunscreen into your routine. And I also suggest you search around and find some information about sun protection, the downsides such as absorption of chemicals in our body etc. and the benefits and determine what you want to do to protect your skin from the sun. It's always good to find a middle ground with this thing, what with all the misleading facts and the over-advertising of products and brands.

sunscreen for sensitive skin sunprotection Vichy Apivita Korres

Here are four I have tried and my thoughts on them.



Vichy sunscreen Capital Soleil dry touch toucher sec

Vichy Capital Soleil SPF 50 Mattifying face fluid dry touch (this is the 2014 edition)

I was extremely pleased with this one. I wore it a lot last summer and I wore it this year too and it performed well. Vichy promise to mattify the skin and it does just that, no surprise as it contains silica and perlite so it's not as innovative as they made us believe however in my opinion, they did create an extremely good and succesful formulation. The texture is pleasing and it dries instantly, leaving behind a matte but velvety finish - like skin but a bit more cushion-y to the touch. I have normal to dry skin and this version for oily skin was adequately moisturizing and surprisingly comfortable. It didn't break me out but at the end of the day it usually left me with a tight-skin feeling and an almost parched skin. As far as ingredients, it's fragranced and full of silicones but it also has cinnamon extract, God knows why. All in all, a great offering from Vichy and one I think a lot of people will like. Makes a fantastic base for make-up as it's kind of undetectable.

Sun protection: Very high, SPF 50+
Protects from: both UVB and UVA
Fragrance: Non offensive.
Texture: Thick fluid.
Packaging: 50ml tube
Price point: 19 Euros

La Roche-Posay sunscreen Anthelios

La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL Cream SPF 50+

A classic from LRP's range is this version for drier skin types. This was my first sunscreen (memories!) so I may be a bit biased. The important thing I noticed is that I kind of never get a tan or colour on my face when I wear this. So I think it really protects the skin; shocking, right? I wouldn't say the texture is that of a cream, it's more of a thick fluid. It spreads easily and it feels a bit heavy, since it's for the drier of us. It leaves a sticky to the touch, plump, moisturized finish. Dare I say shiny.

It contains alcohol but doesn't smell of anything. La Roche-Posay love to put alcohol in so many of their products, how nice of them. I also think this one has way too many sun protection filters compared to the others, but maybe that's a good thing.

Sun protection: Very high, SPF 50+
Protects from: both UVB and UVA
Fragrance: Non offensive, barely-there.
Texture: Thick creamy fluid.
Packaging: 50ml tube
Price point: 19 euros

Apivita Suncare

Apivita Suncare Face Cream for sensitive skin SPF 50+

This year, I turned to Apivita, I was suddenly intrigued to find out if natural is effective and pleasurable when it comes to sun protection or if they're just all promises. Afterall, it's made in my home country, that is something to be admired, considering their reputation and global fanbase. After much thought and comparison, I decided to pick up the version for sensitive skin. They have 6 sunscreens, one for dry skin, one for oily skin types, one for sensitive skin (the one I got), one for sunspots and two tinted versions. At least they thought of everyone!

It didn't take too much to fall in love with this. This one is such a beauty. You can tell it's been well-formulated. A quality sunscreen. A beautiful, slightly thick cream, with a subtle scent and a hint of colour so you can see where you're spreading it. In all honesty, it drags a bit during application and it will feel heavy for a few minutes afterwards. It doesn't irritate me the slightest, it leaves the skin smooth, like a baby's bum and would be a pretty good canvas for make-up, mainly for drier people. I think it protects so well. I was impressed!

Sun protection: Very high, SPF 50+
Protects from: both UVB and UVA
Fragrance: Subtle.
Texture: Thick cream.
Packaging: 50ml tube
Price point: 21 euros

Korres sunscreen Yogurt Greece


Korres Sunscreen Face Cream Yogurt TINTED SPF 50

This one has a creamy refreshing texture and a dark beige tint. Another well-formulated product that initially smells of coconuts and applies like a dream. It doesn't irritate, leaves the skin moisturized and dewy and gives a barely-there colour to the face for a bit of sunkissed glow. I do think it is on the heavier side for a sunscreen, as it is rich and perfect for dry skins.

Sun protection: Very high, SPF 50
Protects from: both UVB and UVA
Fragrance: Coconut, fresh
Texture: Cream
Packaging: 50ml tube
Price point: 20 euros

Here are some swatches.
Sunscreen swatches
From left to right: Apivita, Vichy, La Roche-Posay, Korres
So they all have their pros and cons but in the end they're nice additions to have in my skincare arsenal. What sunscreen do you have in your collection?

No comments:

Post a Comment